SEARCH
 

NepalExpress Home

This park is the widest and
most undistributed wilderness area in the
Terai Region.
Royal Bardiya National Park

Royal Bardiya National Park, spreading over an area of nine hundred and sixty-eight square kilometers (968 sq. km.), is situated in the mid far west of the Terai Region. Behind this area the Karnali River flows in close. This park is the widest and most undistributed wilderness area in the Terai Region.

In 1969, the area was specially set aside as a Royal Hunting Reserve and in 1976 it was gazetted as the Karnali Wildlife Reserve with an area of 368 sq. km. In 1982, it was renamed as the Royal Bardiya River Valley.

SPONSORED LINKS REMAINING PART OF PAGE CONTINUES BELOW ADS

When To Visit?
The best seasons to visit the park are fall (October-November) and spring (mid February-April). From late April the weather carries more humidity and experiences frequent thunderstorms. In the summer season the temperature rises up to 40C and the monsoon starts from early June.

What To See?

Vegetation
The park contains 70% of Shorea Robusta and the remaining 30% is covered with the balance mixture of Grasslands, Savahnah and Riverine woods.

Animals
The animals commonly seen in the park are the Wild Boar, Hog Deer, Blue Bull, Porcupine, Sloth Bear, Wild Dog, Mongoose, Civets, Jungle Cat, Rhesus Monkey, Barking Deer, Samber Deer, Bandicoot, Otter, Jackal, Hyena, Common Leopard, Fishing Cat, Langur Monkey etc. Endangered animals like the one-horned Rhinoceros, Tiger, Black Buck, Wild Elephant, Gangetic Dolphin, Marsh Mugger and Ghorial Crocodile are also found in this park.

Birds
The birds commonly seen are the Woodpecker (10 species), Drongo (7 Species), Heron(5 Species), Bulbul (5 Species), Dove (5 Species), Egret (4 Species), Parakeets (4 Species), King Fisher (4 Species), Bee Eater (4 Species), Barbet (4 Species), Pigeon (3 Species), Stork (3 Species), Shell Duck, Eurasian thick knee Rudy, White Eye, Sunbird, Babbler, Warble, Flycatcher, Red Wattled Lapwing, Comb Duck, Merganser Duck, Cormorant and Bar Headed Goose. Endangered birds like the Bengal Florican, Lesser Florican, Silver eared Mesia are also found in this Park.

How To Travel?
There is a daily domestic flight to Nepalgunj From Kathmandu Airport. (There exists at least six different airlines to help you out.) This national park can be reached by surface route only. So after reaching Nepalgunj, public bus services await us to the Far West Terai. To get to the park Headquaters at Thakurdwara it is necessary to alight at Motipur and stroll 8 km. Private vehicles can enter the park at east Chisapani, also 8 km north of Kohalpur on the Nepalgunj-Surkhet highway, and cruise west along the fair weather road in the park to eventually arrive at Thakurdwara. This generally takes a 3-4 hour drive by a 4WD Vehicle. After the completion of the Mahendra Rajmarg (the super highway which will cross the hot Terai Plains east to west), the park entrance will be located at Motipur.



 
 
Do in Nepal

Elephant Polo
Elephant polo is one of the rare, adventures and only of it's kind in Nepal.
MORE >>

Spots to Visit
Information on
Religious Sites
Due to diversity in Religion, there are many religious sites in Nepal ...
MORE>>
Traveler's Guide
Best Time to Visit
The best seasons to trek in Nepal are Autumn, from early October ...
MORE>>
Spots to Visit | Do in Nepal | Information Center | Traveler's Guide | News | Press Releases
NepalExpress 2006-2013 Privacy Statement | Terms and Conditions